UPDATED Nov 2019:
Future of Canadian Classifieds Alerter:
In case you haven’t noticed, this app hasn’t been updated in over a year. I can assure you it’s not because I’m lazy, it’s that the app will not work on newer versions of Android.
What? Why? The app works on my phone now and I have the newest version of Android!
That’s because I have the target API level set to 23 (Android 6.0). In order to submit an update to google play, I’d need to target at least API Level 28 (Android 9.0)
The app runs in compatibility mode so that’s why it still works.
Some newer phones are already having problems! Some phones will only allow background services to run if the app is in the foreground!
Why don’t you just target Android 9.0 then?
Oh man, I wish I could. The problem is that newer versions of Android are incredibly picky about background services. See this blog post for more information:
So where does this leave us? Is the app done for?
Ha. Well. Funny story. I’ve been in this same situation for the iOS version and found a workaround!
Okay… what’s the workaround?
I purchased a server to do the crunching for the app, then deliver the results to the app through a push notification! It’s working right now as we speak in the current beta and has been working for the iOS version for about two years.
I don’t know what that means. Can you just give me the pros and cons?
This new app will have the following pros and cons.
- Better battery life
- Less slowdown on phones with limited memory and CPU
- Less data usage (aka, lower monthly bill)
- Ability to do complex things that a phone would choke on or be inefficient at. For example, I can ignore posts by certain sellers (people who repost the same crap for way too much). It’s made me WAY more efficient on Kijiji.
- The app will be updated regularly again.
- The bug where you have to reopen the app after opening a notification has been fixed
- Relies on a server. Servers go down occasionally
- Will have a recurring monthly subscription cost if you want premium features (instantaneous checking). Free checking will get slower as the app gains more users.
What will happen to the old app? It still works fine for me for now
I won’t be updating it anymore. However the play store listing will still be around and I won’t be getting rid of the listing. You’re free to keep using it, just know that at any given time, you could update your version of Android and it just straight up won’t work.
What new features are in the works for the new version of the app?
- Facebook marketplace
- Better french translations.
- Ability to open Kijiji or Preview mode directly from a notification
Install the open beta from the link below. If there’s any issues, I need to know before I release it to the public. The old version of the app will always be available to you, but could stop working at any time.
Open beta link:
Please report any issues!
This page is the system status for the Android port of Canadian Classifieds Alerter. To see the iPhone status page, please visit this page